Your teeth should be cleaned, scaled and polished every three months. Three month intervals help keep the plaque levels around the gums minimal and thus significantly reduces your risk of re-infection. Maintenance is the key to successful treatment.
During your periodontal maintenance visit, the following will be performed:
Your medical and dental histories will be updated because these factors may influence your periodontal health and treatment effectiveness.
A thorough periodontal evaluation is performed including:
- Assessment of your probing depths (measure pockets)
- Removal of harmful bacterial plaque and calculus (tartar) are removed from above and below your gumline
- An oral cancer screening of your inner and outer oral tissues
- X-rays (digital images) may be taken to evaluate your teeth and bone supporting the teeth
- Fluoride treatment to prevent root decay and sensitivity
- A review of your at-home oral hygiene routine and recommendation customized for your condition.
- Blood pressure taken- we believe in whole body health
Preserving your periodontal health brings a lifetime of benefits.
- Keeps dental costs down because it will prevent future problems
- Research links periodontal infection to more serious health problems, such as cardiovascular disease, stroke, diabetes and pre-term, low weight babies.
A commitment to periodontal maintenance is a commitment to better health.