The Farber Center for Periodontics and Dental Implants in Medford and Hauppauge, NY, understands the challenges associated with aging and the effect it can have on tooth loss. As most requested providers of All-on-4 Long Island has available, we are a leading resource for seniors to replace entire rows of missing teeth. Implant-supported dentures like the ones we offer have significant advantages.
Our holistic dental practice is patient-centered and calming for people who may have anxiety about visiting the dentist. State-of-the-art treatment options, including All-on-4, are less invasive, more comfortable for patients, and reduce recovery times compared to other methods.
Causes of Tooth Loss for Senior Citizens
The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research reports that 27.27% of seniors over the age of 65 have no remaining teeth. Out of the remaining 72.72%who still have teeth, the Institute statistics show they retain an average of 18.90 out of 32 teeth. The causes of tooth loss vary greatly:
- Gum Disease
- Oral health concerns developing undetected
- Wear and tear of dental work (e.g., fillings, crowns, etc.)
- A Poor Diet
The main reason for tooth loss is neglected teeth, usually due to poor oral hygiene. That is why it is so essential to maintain an oral health care routine and cleaning plan to avoid loss of teeth, especially if you are over the age of 65. Seniors need to take specific steps in their oral health routine to avoid losing teeth.
Methods to Avoid Tooth Loss:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Floss at least once a day
- Eat healthier food
- Visit Your Doctor Regularly
- See your dentist every six months
Listen to your body so you can identify and treat any oral health issues early.
Aging does come with unfortunate side-effects that can make previously easy tasks much more complicated. If you have arthritis, brushing can become difficult. If you have arthritis read our blog post on the advantages of an electric toothbrush here: Arthritis and the Electric Toothbrush. Healthy eating can also become difficult as many of the foods beneficial to your health are crunchy or difficult to chew while missing teeth.
Luckily, there are procedures like All-on-4 dental implants available to you to replace a lost row of teeth. The Farber Center can provide natural-looking implants that will preserve your facial contour. Our offices offer a range of options, and for Long Island, All-on-4 implant-supported dentures are an increasingly popular option. You’ll have new functioning teeth on the same day as the implant procedure. To see what Farber Center for Periodontics & Dental Implants can do to fix your smile, give us a call today at (631) 265-4442 for our Hauppauge office or 631-758-3700 for our Medford Office!